Thursday

Hearty Tuscan Stew

I've always wanted to like kale. I know it's good for me. And I thought somehow, if I liked it, that would make me a more sophisticated diner. But alas, I couldn't get excited about it. At all. But now, I'm changing my opinion. This recipe features kale which gives the stew nice body and it's not too chewy or bitter. Delicious!

Ingredients:
1 Tbs olive oil
6 oz pancetta in a fine dice (I use the prepackaged pancetta from Trader Joes)
1 large onion in a medium dice
2 celery ribs sliced on the diagonal
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
8 garlic cloves, pressed or minced (don't skimp here, you really want all of it...or even more!)
5 cups high quality chicken or veggie broth
1-14oz can of canellini beans, rinsed and drained
1-15oz can of diced tomatoes (I like Muir Glenn Organic with italian seasonings)
2 medium bay leaves
1 bunch tuscan kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
1 sprig of rosemary
(if you reserve parmesean cheese rinds, I threw one in at the end)
Parmesan, Pecorino Romano or other favorite hard cheese to garnish with

Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Render pancetta over medium heat, stirring occasionally - 6 to 10 minutes. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 10-16 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant - 1 minute.

Add broth, beans, tomatoes, bay leaves and kale. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20-25 minutes. remove from heat. Submerge rosemary (and cheese rind, if using) and cover pot. Let sit for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with grated cheese.


(Adapted from Quick Hearty Tuscan Bean Stew from Cook's Illustrated)

No comments:

Post a Comment